This page captures route information and details of the cycle route for the New/Intro to Group cycles that we run on selected dates regularly early in the year. Registration will be posted for the planned dates.
If you are new to the club, new to cycling in a group or considering joining the club, these sessions are a great way to get started with your imminent love of cycling! They are also a perfect opportunity to meet other club members, get comfortable cycling in a group & find cycle training buddies.
The format of the sessions is a guided bike safety check, a chat of basics of group cycling and then a short group cycle at an easy pace (approx 20km/hr).
Meeting point : Lidl carpark, Ballincollig, ready to roll at 10:30am sharp.
Before you come along, please ensure to review the club rules for group cycling, for everyone’s safety & enjoyment.
Please ensure you have a roadworthy bike, tyres pumped, helmet, spare tube & tyre levers.
- Leaving the Lidl carpark heading out past the entrance to Ballincollig Regional Park
- Take a left onto Iniscarra Road and continues straight through Dripsey and into Coachford
- Take a left in Coachford (about 17km mark)
- Cross over the river and another left, heading for Farran
- Pass Farran Woods on your left and at about 23km, there’ll be a V in the road, take the left
- There’s a nice speedy descent at the 28km mark, watch your speed as the road sweeps around a sharp corner to the right then left, brining you into Srelene
- Regroup here before joining the main road – in single file here as the road tends to be busy, stay in the bike lane/margin.
- Head back into Ballincollig, either from the first exit on the bypass or alterntatively scoot up into the bike/footpath right before the start of the bypass. Follow the road and return to car park. Well done!
Summary: The route has a few little ups/downs, but is suitable to all abilities, on the short climbs, keep the pace steady, it’s possible the group might stretch out a little in these sections, but regroup again after. Just keep an eye that no-one gets dropped off – this is a social cycle and a strict “No Drop” policy applies. Keep a nice tidy group, try stay as close to the wheel in front as you are comfortable with. Practice using the calls outlined during the briefing and most of all, enjoy your spin!
Garmin route: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/30037602#
You must be logged in to post a comment.