An update on what has been happening in the club, as well as what is coming up.
- Training weekend – March 24 – 26 – Spots available!
- International Women’s Day event March 8
- TVP parkrun -show your club colours – March 11 – More information below or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CTC ‘away club cycle’ with Kinsale Tri Club – Sunday March 12 – Register here.
- Next block of spin sessions – March 21 & 23 – Registration will open Wednesday, March 15, 8.30pm
- Club shop opening in March – More details coming soon.
- First Aid Course – April 1 – Registration will open Monday, March 20, 9am.
- Bike skills with Aidan Hammond – April 29 – Registration opening closer to the date.
- Bike maintenance sessions – Monday, May 9 – Registration opening closer to the date.
Coach O’Neill AKA Coach Brendan hit a milestone recently, celebrating his 70th birthday, closely followed, by clubmate Steve Evans, hot on his heels.
- The current block of swim sessions has concluded.
- The new block starts March 7 and 9, running to May 30 & June 1 – with a break on April 11 & 13 for Easter.
Intro to cycling sessions
- Organised by Cycle coordinator Bryce Whibley
- Two sessions ran in Ballincollig and they were fully booked.
- Session one was led by Bryce Whibley and Noel O’Regan and the second session was run by Bryce Whibley and James Fahey
- The feedback has been very positive.
Joint spin with KTC – March 12
- On Sunday, March 12, CTC has organised an ‘away club cycle’
- We are joining Kinsale Tri Club for a spin with an optional dip in the dock after.
- Cycle briefing is at 8.45am, rolling at 9am from the main Kinsale town carpark
- Parking is available in the main town carpark or at Dock beach.
- Registration is mandatory in order to assess numbers.
Spin – The current block of spin sessions conclude March 14 & 16.
- The next block begins for five weeks starting March 21 & 23 – skipping April 4 & 6 for Easter – with final sessions on 25 & 27 April. Registration will open Wednesday, March 15, 8.30pm
Bike Skills – On April 29 – Cycle Ireland Level 3 coach – Aidan Hammond will run a bike skills day at MTU for members – Stay tuned for further details.
Bike Maintenance sessions – Head Coach Trevor Mahoney is hoping to run bike maintenance sessions for members in May. Registration will open closer to the date.
- Tempo sessions at Model Farm Road have concluded. They were very well attended over the Winter and into the Spring.
Hills, hills hills!
- Brendan O’Neill will run hill sessions for March on a quiet hill at the back of the Mardyke. Further details are available on the Cork Tri website, CTC Facebook page and Eventbrite.
Return to track in April
- Coach O’Neill will take members back to the Sonia O’Sullivan track at UCC Mardyke in April.
*Please register on Eventbrite for sessions.*
- S&C / Spin / Swim sessions – have not been at full capacity of late.
- Please share spots you can’t make
- All are welcome to try them out – the sessions are very manageable in terms of ability – you can make it as hard or easy as you like.
- We hit 200 members in February!
- Anyone who has let their membership lapse, please register with Triathlon Ireland and Cork Tri to continue training with the club.
- You must be a member to attend more than three sessions.
- 70/80 people made it to the Clayton Hotel for the event in January, with another 20+ watching online.
- Paul Kelly, Maria Cronin and Mike Ward all spoke about their personal experiences in the club to give new prospective members an idea of what to expect.
- Sold out!
- The Open Day event, ran at MTU, was coached by Feidhlim Dowling, Adrian Quinn and Trevor Mahoney with assistance from Catherine Redmond and Daire Reilly.
- Prospective members took part in a tempo run session, an hour of bike skills related to group cycling and finished the day off with a set in the pool.
- The feedback was very positive.
Training weekend – Currently recruiting!
- There are places still available.
- The weekend caters for all abilities, with short and long cycles organised and all sessions are optional.
- There is also a transition workshop run over the weekend that is very informative and beneficial to do ahead of race season.
- For new, established and long-standing members – the training weekend is a great opportunity to meet other club members, make new friends and learn new skills.
Winter Wellness events ⛰️🌄🌊
Women’s Officer Kelly Agnew organised a number of popular events over the winter that saw our triathlete members embracing the outdoors – and the cold – beyond the customary swim, bike, run.
- Trail run at Garryduff Woods
- Dip and sauna at Fountainstown
- Paps hike
- Mangerton Hike
- Sauna and hike at Red Strand/Castlefreke
- Tramore Valley Park parkrun takeover
- International Womens Day event March 8
- TVP parkrun -show your club colours – March 11 – run or volunteer at Tramore Valley Park parkrun on Sat March 11 in CTC colours to mark Triathlon Ireland’s ‘Women in Sport’ week (March 7 – 13).
- Contact Catherine Mulcahy: email@example.com for more information.
- To volunteer at TVP parkrun, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your parkrun ID (Barcode number).
- The club shop is opening soon
- The shop will open for ten days and items should arrive ahead of the peak race season, expected before Lough Cutra (May 27-28).
- There will be a number of subsidised items, similar to last year.
- A Tech t-shirt order is also being negotiated, separate to Verge, so keep an eye out for news on this.
- The club also launched a private Facebook Marketplace page for buying and selling among the club and with other athletic clubs in Cork. You can join the page here: CTC bargain buys.
First Aid Course ⛑️
- April 1st – at the SMA Hall in Wilton
- There is a 20 euro charge, refunded on completion of the course.
- Registration will open Monday, March 20, 9am
Club survey 📝
- 60 members completed the 20-question survey which will contribute to committee discussions about the future of the club. Thanks to all who engaged.
- A committee strategy meeting is being held on March 20 in order to progress the foundations of a five-year plan for the club along with a new ethos/mission statement.
CTC & National Series 🏁
Triathlon Ireland’s National Series competition kicks off in Leinster on May 21, with a range of races across the four provinces. There are 19 races including six in Munster. CTC is working on a plan to rally the troops for this year’s season. Stay tuned for more.
You must be logged in to post a comment.