We are planning to hold our night swim around Sandycove Island on Thursday 3rd October. This is a very popular swim and it can be an absolute magical evening. No idea yet what the weather forecast is for that far ahead but the event is very much weather dependent. Please monitor the website and the Facebook page for updates, we do have a backup date.
Some health warnings:
- You should be an experienced Sandycove swimmer, this is not the time to think your first lap of the island would be a good idea.
- The water is cooling down so if you haven’t been in the sea for 6 weeks don’t go
- Please try to have a tow buoy, they are a very useful safety aid.
- We are going to use a buddy system so try to pair up with another swimmer of about equal ability, for anyone without a prearranged buddy we will pair people off on the night
- We will have limited kayak support
The club will supply glow sticks which can be put under your swim hat or tucked into your goggle strap. For anyone that has the little free LED bike lights they can be put into a tow buoy for a very noticeable light. The club is hoping to arrange soup, tea/coffee in the bar of the Trident Hotel in Kinsale for immediately after the event, all welcome even onlookers.
A few housekeeping issues:
- Try to carpool even if just from Kinsale as parking is limited at the slip.
- Keep the noise down particularly after the swim.
- Be very careful with parking, don’t block driveways. Keep the door slamming to a minimum.
- For anyone not swimming and waiting in the cars do NOT turn on the car headlights thinking it will guide the swimmers in, they are just blinding at water level.
So meet between 7:45 and 8:00pm at the slip, we need to distribute glow sticks and pair off people. The plan is to be in the water and swimming for 8:15pm. So hopefully we will have a great and safe night with a good social get together in the Trident after.